Furniture, clothes and decorative items – you can get them packed and ready for the truck come moving day. But there are actually some items that should only travel with you for safety reasons. Here are some of the things you should not pack when you move:
1. Chemicals, including nail polish or remover, aerosol cans, chlorine granules or powder, and other cleaning agents.
2. Combustibles, such as gasoline, charcoal, matches, ammunition or lithium ion batteries.
3. Pressurized gas, including propane, oxygen tanks and fire extinguishers.
4. Plants and perishables, such as refrigerated or frozen food items, all types of medications, houseplants and open pantry items.
5. Medical equipment, including primary walkers, primary wheelchairs or transport chairs, and oxygen compressors.
6. Valuables, which may include tax papers, passports and wills, along with Social Security cards, medical ID cards and insurance information. Make sure your medical records, stocks, cash and jewelry all travel with you as well.
Why You Shouldn’t Put These Items in the Moving Truck
Some things like jewelry and cash should stay with you for obvious reasons. Others, like chemicals and combustibles, are hazardous and even illegal to transport. And, in the event they somehow spill during the move, they can create a serious amount of damage to your other belongings. Make sure to ask your choice of movers for a comprehensive list of items that aren’t allowed in the moving truck.
Food stuff and other perishables, while non-flammable and non-toxic, can attract pests that can damage your property. And, if you feel terrible about throwing food away, you should consider donating them to a local shelter, soup kitchen or place of worship. Being proactive in the planning process will ensure your move goes on safely and smoothly.
You can count on Around Town Movers, your premier moving company, for good, old-fashioned, no-nonsense moving and storage services. Whether it’s a local or long-distance move, you can always expect us to provide an exceptional, worry-free moving experience. We serve the areas in and around Sterling and Arlington, VA. Call us today at (703) 682-5922, or fill out this contact form to schedule your moving quote.