Sticking to your moving timeline can be difficult to do if unexpected delays come your way. Today, we take a look at some of the things that can cause moving delays and how you can deal with them.
1. Bad weather: It takes more than a little bit of rain to deter home movers, but certain weather conditions can make the moving process hazardous for movers, cause damage to your property or block access to roads. Plan your move for spring or summer, or if you need to move on short notice, pay attention to the weather forecast.
2. Heavy traffic: Slow traffic is to be expected if your relocation route happens to be passing through urban centers, but you should, nevertheless, plan for road closures or other causes of unexpected heavy traffic. Use a Global Positioning System (GPS) or app that can help you quickly change routes. Also, talk to your apartment movers about moving outside of rush hours or during crowd events.
3. Equipment breakdown: Sometimes, vehicles and moving equipment may break down on moving day, and it may be difficult to find alternatives right away. One of the greatest advantages of working with an experienced moving company like us is that we make sure that our moving equipment, including our trucks, are well-maintained to reduce the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns.
4. Long packing times: People who haven’t had much experience with moving tend to underestimate the time and effort needed to pack, typically ending up still packing by the time the moving trucks have arrived. Fortunately, this is something that can be planned well ahead of time. If you prefer to do your own packing, start as soon as possible – buy packing supplies and start packing non-essential items. Have family and friends help you with packing. Your moving company may also offer packing services, including supplies, at cost.
5. Accessibility: Living in a gated community or an area that’s not easily accessible for large vehicles can cause delays. Coordinating moving times and required documents between your community managers and your moving company can help avoid delays during moving day. If accessibility issues are due to physical limitations like inadequate parking areas or if the driveway is too narrow for trucks, talk to your movers in advance so they can prepare for it.
Around Town Movers is the trusted residential and office movers serving customers in Reston and Arlington, VA, and the surrounding communities in Washington, DC. Give us a call at (703) 682-5922, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment.